Sunday 5 December 2010

Glagow Cathedral in the snow...

For my UWA course I spent a chilly day walking around Glasgow Cathedral. I found some beautiful textiles inside, but I will share these tomorrow - otherwise there will be picture overload! For today, some pretty images!
I particularly like the stained glass, and went animal spotting on the many panes.
The stained glass gives an ethereal feel to light. Behind the cathedral is the necropolis, where wealthy Victorians were buried. This city of the dead dominates the skyline.
The patron saint of Glasgow and is St Mungo and images of his alleged miracles are seen around the cathedral. They are remembered by the following rhyme:
Here is the bird that never flew
Here is the tree that never grew
Here is the bell that never rang
Here is the fish that never swam

No comments:

Post a Comment