Monday 26 April 2010

Cranes and Kingfishers

Today's post is inspired by paper. Samples of blue papers were sponged with acyclic paints, these were then cut in to strips to create a silhouette of a kingfisher. Bright and bold.
I am enjoying exploring the colours of a kingfisher, but feel I need to look at creating texture. I am particularly interested in the textures created by the layering of feathers on the wing and back. Here there are many different colours are seen, all pouring over each other. I was reminded of origami chains. There is an ancient Japanese legend that anyone who folds one thousand paper cranes will be granted a wish. These are then usually strung in 25 strands of 40 cranes. The cranes lay on top of each other creating an amazingly rich texture. I thought I'd have ago at creating a crane, not perfect I know!
I really liked the shape of the crane base (which is interestingly also the base for some other birds). I wondered if I could layer these over each other?
Also how would this work with fabric? I used an iron to help fold the fabric (and also burn my thumb!). Maybe some small stitches might help keep it in place?
I quite like how some of the seams fray, and how my folds are not entirely straight. I wonder if there is another way to create this texture?

1 comment:

  1. I love your colours and feather ideas. Have you tried pleating? If you pleat on the bias you can achieve an interesting curve which resembles a birds wing and if you use sheers and layer them.......... Have fun playing anyway!

    ReplyDelete