Thursday, 30 April 2009

Copydex resist

I saw a great idea on craftster (a website that I am possibly addicted to) using masking fluid and watercolours to create portraits. Impressed by the end result and the simplicity of the method, I decided to give it a try. I only had copydex to hand, which I attempted to apply with an old paint brush. I soon learnt it was much easier to apply to the opposite end of the brush as the bristles soon stuck together! Anyways, behold the Montagu's Harrier...

Sunday, 26 April 2009

Silk Workshop

Today I attended a Beginners Silk Workshop organised the Guild of Silk Painters - Glasgow & West of Scotland Branch. It was a great day, I got a chance to try out lots of techniques and have some gorgeous work to show for it. Silk painting seems to create such bold, bright colours. I now have lots more ideas for future projects. Here are just a few of the samples I made:
This design was traced from an image, then I used gold gutta and iron-fix silk paints to add colour. I really like how the colours blend into one another.
This loch side image was also created with the use of iron-fix silk paints, a hairdryer and some salt crystals. The line of the silk threads across the image makes it look as if it is raining!
Finally we made necklaces and scarves. These were dyed together using steam-fix dyes, rock salt & a microwave! I picked three shades of blue for mine. The necklace was made with the help of polystyrene and pony beads & I am really pleased with the result!

My first Skirt

I recently attended the 'how to sew a skirt' workshop at the lovely
Che Camille. It was great fun and after three sessions - a skirt! My darts aren't perfect (and my ironing skills definitely need improving) but with a concealed zip & lining I am very happy. My aim is to make some summer skirts using the pattern... but lets just wait and see :)

Ps) ignore the socks!

Assignment 2 Finished!

Hello, things have been quiet on the blog front recently. I have been busy trying to finish my second assignment for my OCA Textiles 1. It finally went in the post yesterday - hurrah! After spend the last few weeks trying various printing & painting methods, its nice to see the dining table again! Above is a mix of printing using a stencil, and then covering with satin stitch, and below is my first attempt at silk painting. I really like the vibrancy of the colours!